Stephen Wu is a partner in the Silicon Valley law firm Cooke Kobrick & Wu LLP. Mr. Wu acts as outside general counsel to Silicon Valley startups and technology companies, handling licensing, marketing agreements, and other technology transactions. In addition, he advises clients concerning e-discovery, electronic records retention, digital evidence, and legal matters relating to information security, privacy, and ecommerce. His litigation practice also includes intellectual property and general commercial litigation matters. Mr. Wu advises clients concerning new media, social networking, and virtual worlds legal matters, and has been featured in California Lawyer and ABA Journal magazine articles covering lawyers' activities in the virtual world Second Life.
Mr. Wu served as Chair of the American Bar Association Section of Science and Technology Law from 2010-2011. In addition, from 2001 to 2004 he was Co-Chair of the Section's Information Security Committee, and served on the Section's governing Council from 2004 to 2007. He is a 1988 graduate of Harvard Law School and, before starting his private practice, was VeriSign Inc.'s second in-house attorney. At VeriSign, he was in charge of the company's worldwide security and legal policies and practices governing its digital certification information security services. He also managed more general legal matters for the company.
Before VeriSign, Mr. Wu practiced with two large law firms in the areas of intellectual property, commercial, and general litigation, as well as technology licensing and transactions.
Mr. Wu serves as a lecturer in law at Santa Clara University School of Law, teaching technology law. He has written books and made frequent presentations on e-discovery, digital evidence, and information security topics at numerous information security and continuing legal education conferences.
- Zhang v. Tse 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 25138 (Jan. 13 2009)
- Partner Stephen Wu Discusses Privacy & Data Management in The Recorder (Mar. 25 2013)
- Stephen Wu Discusses Health Data Theft in Healthcare Info Security (Jan. 23 2013)
- Partner Stephen Wu's Webinar for AADMM (Dec. 5 2012)
- Stephen Wu Interviewed by Healthcare Info Security Discussing Bring Your Own Device Policies (Nov. 27 2012)
- Partner Stephen Wu A Main Speaker at the 7th Annual Los Altos High School Science & Tech Week (Oct. 23 2012)
- Partner Stephen Wu Presents at Online Trust Forum (Oct. 2 2012)
- Steve Wu Speaks at Microsoft Store Community Theater (Aug. 22 2012)
- Program on Small/Medium Business Data Security (May. 22 2012)
- Stephen Wu Presented on Privacy and Information Security Law (May. 21 2012)
- Los Altos Radio Show on Small/Medium Business IT Support (May. 18 2012)
Professional Assocations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Section of Science and Technology Law, Chair, 2010 - 2011
- American Bar Association, Section of Science and Technology Law, Council Member, 2004 - 2007
- American Bar Association, Section of Science and Technology Law, Co-Chair, Information Security Committee, 2001 - 2004
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, High Technology Law Section, Chair, 2014
- SL Bar Association in the Second Life(R) Virtual World, President, 2009 - 2010