What is Information Security Law?
Information security law focuses on the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information, one of our society’s most valuable assets. Information security is an emerging area of law, an area in which lawyers practice, and an industry focus for lawyers and law firms.
For more details on the concept of information security law, see our article on what is information security law.
Privacy concerns the right of people to be free from intrusion or the disclosure of information they wish to keep from others. Privacy law has a broad reach and addresses questions of what information a business, government, or person can gather, what information can be shared under what circumstances, how to give people meaningful choices about the disclosure and sharing of information about them, and how they can enforce their rights. Businesses have certain requirements to notify their customers or users about their privacy practices, and frequently adopt privacy policies to govern their collection, use, disclosure, and sharing of information.
Articles on Data Protection Law
- What is Information Security Law?
- Partner Stephen Wu Discusses Privacy & Data Management in The Recorder (3/25/2013)
- Stephen Wu Discusses Health Data Theft in Healthcare Info Security (1/23/2013)
- Stephen Wu Interviewed by Healthcare Info Security Discussing Bring Your Own Device Policies (11/27/2012)
- New Amendments to the Vermont Breach Notification Law (9/12/2012)
- Connecticut Adds AG Reporting to its Breach Notification Law (7/1/2012)
- Trends in Security and Privacy Laws (04/2/2012)
- Zip Code Privacy (3/25/2012)
- Social Media Password Privacy Bills (3/25/2012)
- Thirteenth Annual Institute on Privacy and Data Security Law
- Senate Bill Promises to Bolster Critical Infrastructure Protection (2/20/20/12)
- HIPAA/HITECH Breach Notification Final Rule Expected in March 2012 (by HealthcareInfoSecurity.com)
- Federal Breach Notification Legislation Update (2/11/2012)
- A "Zero Day" Security Breach Lawsuit Against Sutter Health (1/13/2012)
HIPAA Security Book
Partner Stephen Wu wrote a book entitled "A Guide to HIPAA Security and the Law." The publisher is the American Bar Association Section of Science & Technology Law. Mr. Wu served as Chair of the Section from 2010-2011. The book examines HIPAA, its scope, and the Security Rule issued by the Department of Health and Human Services. At its heart is a section-by-section analysis of the HIPAA security regulations to provide guidance on compliance from a legal and information technology security perspective.
Please contact us if you want to speak with an experienced data protection attorney to help you with your information security and privacy issues.